Bettina Gertjerenken et.al.: Nonlocal quantum superpositions of bright matter-wave solitons and dimers
- Author(s): Bettina Gertjerenken, Christoph Weiss
- Title: Nonlocal quantum superpositions of bright matter-wave solitons and dimers
- Date of Upload: 2012-10-05
- Article: J. Phys. B: At. Mol. Opt. Phys. 45, 165301 (2012) , Institute of Physics
- Keywords: Schrodinger-cat states, dimers, quantum matter-wave solitons, bright solitons, effective potential approach
- PACS: 03.75.Lm, 05.45.Yv, 03.65.Ge, 03.75.Dg
- The scattering of bright quantum solitons at barrier potentials in one-dimensional geometries is investigated. Such protocols have been predicted to lead to the creation of nonlocal quantum superpositions. The centre-of-mass motion of these bright matter-wave solitons generated from attractive Bose-Einstein condensates can be analysed with the effective potential approach. An application to the case of two particles being scattered at a delta potential allows analytical calculations not possible for higher particle numbers as well as a comparison with numerical results. Both for the dimer and a soliton with particle numbers on the order of N = 100, we investigate the signatures of the coherent superposition states in an interferometric setup and argue that experimentally an interference pattern would be particularly well observable in the centre-of-mass density. Quantum superposition states of ultra-cold atoms are interesting as input states for matter-wave interferometry as they could improve signal-to-noise ratios.
- URL: http://www.physik.uni-oldenburg.de/condmat/Papers/p_nonlocsuperp2012.pdf (text/plain) .
- URL: http://arxiv.org/abs/1208.4984 (text/plain)
This shadow-file was created by My Meta Maker 1.6.1. Last Update: Fri Oct 5 16:50:33 2012