Martin Holthaus et.al.: Influence of boundary conditions on statistical properties of ideal Bose-Einstein condensates
- Author(s): Martin Holthaus, Kishore T. Kapale, Marlan O. Scully
- Title: Influence of boundary conditions on statistical properties of ideal Bose-Einstein condensates
- Date of Upload: 2002-09-03
- Article: Phys. Rev. E 65, 036129 (2002), APS
- Keywords: ideal Bose-Einstein condensate, boundary conditions, Dirichlet boundary conditions, canonical ensemble, bose gas
- PACS: 05.30.Ch, 05.30.Jp, 03.75.Fi
- We investigate the probability distribution that governs the number of ground-state particles in a partially condensed ideal Bose gas confined to a cubic volume within the canonical ensemble. Imposing either periodic or Dirichlet boundary conditions, we derive asymptotic expressions for all its cumulants. Whereas the condensation temperature becomes independent of the boundary conditions in the large-system limit, as implied by Weyl stheorem, the fluctuation of the number of condensate particles and all higher cumulants remain sensitive to the boundary conditions even in that limit. The implications of these findings for weakly interacting Bose gases are briefly discussed.
- URL: http://www.physik.uni-oldenburg.de/condmat/Papers/p_boundary.pdf (application/pdf, 74.6 KByte)
This shadow-file was created by My Meta Maker 1.5.